Monday 28 January 2013

Project 5 Stage 4

A larger sample


For this piece of work I have decided to return to a piece of work that I felt was a little unfinished.



I've had some interesting results from using designs to create tiles so my  intention is to use this pattern four times and rotate it so that it becomes a whole and make a cushion cover.









I re drew the image accurately so that it was square and therefore more easily rotated.






























Then I used the image four times rotating the photo through 90 degrees each time.



Then I wondered what it would look like as small, repeated images.




I find this totally amazing.  With the help of Paint.net in just a short time I've created a pattern from a simple start and it could go on for ever and is absolutely convincing.  It is  full of character.


When I printed this onto paper it looked dull; all the vibrancy of the red and yellow seemed to disappear.  When I looked closely at the photos (see above) to find the problem I found blue shadow and a small border (see picture 3) that as I increased the images became more pronounced.  I went back to Paint.net and with the help of a patient husband took out the shadow and the border and brightened the colours.

The world changed.




The effect of brightening the colours was marked enough but taking out the border gave me diamond shapes on a completely different axis.  It's a much more manufactured and intense looking piece; not better  or worse than the first one, just different.

I've put both designs onto fabric using T-Shirt Transfer sheets from Avery.  It transferred well but leaves quite a stiff image.  I also have some Dylon Image Maker so I had a go with that on an old tee shirt.  It was much more fuss to work with and still left a very stiff, plastic feel to the fabric.   I don't think this is something I'll do often but when I do I'll be using the Transfer sheets - they are quicker and less fuss.




Clearly this image can be used as a stand alone piece or as an everlasting repeat.  I can't imagine how the repeat can be achieved with my level of skill and expertise without the use of the chemicals that make the material stiff.

This is all getting away from where I should really be so back to the large sample.

I decided to use the computer adjusted image for my large sample.  On Paint.net I tried various colour combinations and found that the pattern demanded primary colours rather than secondary ones.  I think this is to do with the energy of the design and the corresponding colours.  As I didn't find anything better than the red and yellow I am happy to use it for my sample.

I looked at my fabrics and at first I thought a very pale yellow sheeting might work but I tried a sample and rejected it because it seemed to pull the yellow from the paint and seemed too lightweight for a possible cushion cover.  On the same sample I experimented with a stipple background.  I chose a light brown that showed through the yellow but not the red.  Whilst it was OK I felt there should be something better and less intrusive.


Pale yellow fabric with light brown stippling


I changed my fabric to a natural calico which is robust enough for a cushion cover and simple enough to carry a dramatic image.  I tried a gold paint for stippling.


Natural calico with gold stippling

This background looked much more subtle and it is what I will pursue.

My fabric measured 40cm x 40cm  and each quartile was 16cm x 16cm.

I cut a stencil out of sticky back plastic using the accurate drawing as a pattern.  It was essential to the design to have everything lined up properly. Having found myself in a mess by getting too complicated with a previous stencil I decided to do this in four sections just as the pattern indicates.  I planned to cut four separate stencils but as good luck would have it I managed to re use the same one each time.

Although I taped the fabric to my board to create tension by the time the plastic was stuck on in preparation for painting there was some fullness that took some time to ease out.



My printed design



After sleeping on it I thought this needed a bit of something else so I practiced with red and yellow thread and the machine.  I chose to go through the yellow part of the design with red stars using a glossy machine embroidery thread.  So far so good - except my machine had other ideas.  What should have taken an hour at most took me all day because the tension kept tightening and it was a case of stop, re-thread and start again.  It was so frustrating.  When the design is looked at quickly it doesn't really show but the stars are not uniform.

I am at a loss to know why this kept happening; I changed everything except the cotton which I was stuck with.  However, this is the result -





I hand stitched some French knots in the centre for texture but I didn't want to overdo it.



Playing around

In more idle moments I like to know what would happen if......

And this is what I found when I played with the image I'm currently working on -

Paint.net - Effects, Twist


And when I joined them together -

Rotating the image



Simple repetition of the image

In developing this design I have made both a stand alone image and one that can be repeated ad infinitum.

The stand alone is simple but quite dramatic and relies heavily on the accuracy of both the drawing and the positioning of the stencil.  The focus is contrast rather than harmony.

The two repeat patterns are unbelievably different.  The first has character and depth because of the shadows and the second has rhythm and movement.  They are  probably suited to furnishing fabric.

The notion of creating small samples to try things out is such a good idea.  It gives the opportunity to experiment without wasting too much time or material.  My selection of this drawing seemed to continue the ethnic theme I've been immersed in whilst introducing vibrant colour and modern technology.  It would have been quite possible for this design to remain in my sketchbook and feeling incomplete but I would have missed the chance to experiment and get such striking effects.  The use of the "tile" as a design platform is something I've found useful before and it works again here.  However, previously  there hasn't been the dependence on accuracy and this presented its own challenge.

I was happy with my final choice of fabric; it has an ethnic feel, is robust enough for a cushion cover and allows the design to speak for itself. I think the gold stipple gives the eye restful place to dwell and breaks the large expanse of pale fabric.

The design sits comfortably on this piece of fabric and I think I have managed to get the width of the coloured stripes right.  Although I printed the repeat pattern on a tee shirt it would have worked as a panel on a cushion cover.  It could even be part of a set of covers with some covers with the large pattern like I've done and some with repeat pattern on.

In the past I've got in a muddle with negative shapes but this time I managed to get it right first time probably because the pattern is relatively straightforward.

I like the way the pattern can be used in so many ways and all developed from one small drawing.   On the cushion cover four elements create a harmonious whole whilst the colours contrast vividly.  On the first of the repeat patterns there is very obviously a square tile effect but on subsequent ones there is a flow and rhythm and some complexity.

I'm happy to say that I've enjoyed doing this.  I was a bit worried after my dejection about the last exercise.  I just love the way one thing leads to another.


No comments:

Post a Comment