Thursday 22 August 2013

Wire weaving with Helen Meakin



I've looked forward to this workshop ever since I saw Helen's work at the Dome in Buxton earlier in the summer and I wasn't disappointed.

Helen weaves in wire and yarns and uses beads and sequins as embellishments.

https://www.google.co.uk/#fp=238ebefbc6aa347e&q=helen+meakin+textile+artist

A friend and I shared a day long workshop and in the morning we both had a look at what a dobby loom is all about (I understood just a little) and made a sample using our chosen color scheme.  I chose blues, lilacs, dark grey and cream yarns of various textures.  I used a pale pink pearl bead along with a clear larger bead and a pale blue ribbon. All this went onto a .02 mm brown wire warp.  There were many, many more warp threads than I'm used to. The loom was set up to work in a six row cycle - one open weave and one much closer that gave a satin finish.  This can be seen clearly on the cream boucle yarn. The lower rows are open and the top much closer together.

My sample


I decided that I needed some pizzaz in there so my final piece included a deep plum ribbon

After a good lunch at the Wharf Cafe we each took about an hour to make our weaving.  It grew quickly but only because I welcomed help every step of the way.


My finished piece is 20 x 45 cm 


Showing the variety of yarns and the way the beads separate the warp and add extra texture



The inclusion of the dark red makes such a difference


I can't see a way that I could use wire warp with my Kromski harp loom but I could use a wire weft and see what happens.

I had a lovely day and I think I produced something really worth framing.  Thanks Helen.

No comments:

Post a Comment