Wednesday 13 March 2013

Project 6 Stage 3 Sample

Sample



As a starting point for this piece of work I'm going to use a drawing I did in Marrakesh.  It's a of a palm tree trunk that was splitting to reveal the colours of new growth underneath. I've taken a snip for my design.



This reminds me of flames.  It's very vertical and quite striated.  These are the fabrics I chose.


I'm ashamed to say I made poor choices.  The tweed was too heavy looking and the yellows were without texture.  With hindsight I know that I didn't think of textural words to describe what I saw and this led me completely down the wrong pathway.  The only fabrics I actually used were the leather and the patterned furnishing fabric.

I fetched out net and organza, lame and lustrous cottons and made it up as I went along - not what I've been taught to do at all.   I wanted to do some free embroidery but my machine thought otherwise so I used a standard straight stitch to fasten things together.

I started by painting my fabric and applying layers of organza and net with the machine..







The left hand side
The furnishing fabric made both of the main shapes.  The one on the left used the selvedge and the one on the right I frayed.  The central rib on both is couched leather on top of gold lame.








The central bit



The right hand side
















The original drawing showed three splits in the bark and I wish I'd done three in this piece - it would be so much better balanced.  I'm pleased with the harmonising colours and the bling of the lame has flame connotations but also reminds me of the tree bark which was shiny.  I found it difficult to let the original image go.


If this seems somewhat short I'm sorry.  I've done it once and lost it for some reason. A frustrating day.

No comments:

Post a Comment