Wednesday 3 April 2013

Assignment 3

Assignment 3

Reflective commentary

It's the most silly thing but I've just realised what a sample is. A sample is the opportunity to demonstrate new skills just as the girls used to in their samplers.  In my last feedback my tutor told me that my work does not have to be a completed piece and that advice has only just slipped into place.  It is like being given a bit of freedom, quite liberating.  I also had problems with the definition of drawing until it was pointed out to me just how wide the scope is.

I don't really want to repeat what I said in my reflections after the completion of Project 6 but of course everything I said is still true.

Talking with Emma and Jan in their workshop was a real treat and having my sewing machine and my skill overhauled was just a bonus.  With a bit of luck I'll now be able to use my machine for free embroidery at a whim not just when I'm feeling able to cope with the frustration.

I've really enjoyed this part of the course and I think in part that's to do with me feeling some confidence in the techniques if not the end product.  One day soon I will master the art of Bondaweb - it's a logic thing.

I've tried my soldering iron for the first time and I'm going to have to lighten my touch a bit but I guess that's experience.

As I've said before I'm excited by everything I've been trying.  I've recently incorporated some see through applique into birthday cards. I can see that these new ways of using old skills will combine very well with other things I've been doing like dying and stitching and printing

I could quite happily have stuck with Collete Wolff and worked my way through the entire book.  It will be a tremendous resource as time goes on.

As I've said in previous reflections I'm learning lots about myself as well.  I'm becoming more adventurous in what I approach and less bothered about making mistakes.  I am starting to use ideas inspired by, but not copied from other works both of mine and others. I'm prepared to get lost (which is something I've always found hard to do) and find where I am again. I think this is because I have a structure to work within that isn't prescriptive.

I've always been shy of playing my piano for others so it's surprising that I'm not diffident about showing my textile work to other people.  That's something to think about.

I am, quite literally, learning something new every day and loving it.

My Theme Book

My Theme book is starting to take on a life of it's own. Actually starting was quite difficult so doing a cover based on a previous picture was a good thing to do. I've taken fruit as my theme but the title may well have to change as I seem to be pretty involved with citrus just now. Ideas seem to be flooding in at the moment and I'm excited about it. The idea of a Theme book  frightened me 6 months ago but having learnt so much I no longer feel that way.  I may have a few wobbles here and there but I'm untroubled by it.

My exploration of circles has given me the opportunity to re-look at things I've done earlier in the course and try some new things like image transfer with Bondaweb.  I feel as though I've been set free from the (necessary) direction the course gives and been allowed to swim by myself, albeit with armbands.

I'm particularly pleased that I've been able to develop my own work list and not feel bereft of ideas. I don't always have a plan but suddenly something crops up and just seems to take off.  For example the circular slashed work in fabric manipulation went on to become a sample that allowed me the opportunity to use Bondaweb for image transfer.

At the moment I'm enjoying playing around with ideas and have not thought hard about my final piece. I want to make something I'm proud of and feel OK about displaying but I don't want to produce something that only plays to my strengths (whatever they are).  I want to use some of my new skills and be creative even if it's a real challenge. I'm not worried about it at the moment because I'm finding that ideas just seem to turn up.

Assessment criteria points

Demonstration of Technical and Visual Skills

Part 2 has been about stitching and I'm comfortable with that so I think I've coped OK with the techniques.

The application of those techniques has been new and demanded that stitch is combined  with new skills that I am less confident of.

I find that I'm less likely to copy an image and more likely to take a visual risk with what I observe. A example of this is the Sample for Project 6.

I  feel that composition sometimes lets me down.

Quality of Outcome

I've a store of new skills from which to select I am trying to apply them in context.

I am trying to be organised about both my work and presentation.

I have a go at everything I have materials for even if I start off thinking it's not for me. I'm sometimes surprised.

My excitement seems to come through in my work sometimes.

Demonstration of Creativity

I'm feeling more confident and taking some risks to develop my own ideas.

I'm enjoying letting an idea run almost on it's own.  An example is my Theme book.

I need to be more patient.  I want to run before I can walk.

I'm constantly surprised at what I can do.

Context

I have bought several new books and become totally absorbed in the possibilities.

I need to go to some more exhibitions.

I am placing value on  my work.

I'm trying hard with my sketchbook.  I feel I understand it better.

I find it hard to identify my strength and weaknesses.


















No comments:

Post a Comment