Wednesday 10 April 2013

Part 4 Research point Linda Bellinger

My brief says that I should choose two internationally known textile artists whose work I find particularly inspiring.  There are so many I might choose but the first one I really want to look at I've found it hard to get information for.  I'm not even sure if she has an international reputation; if not she should have.  My information is taken from  a Tom Bates interview at  www.aboutderbyshire.co.uk 

My artists name is Linda Bellinger and the way she describes herself is "Fine Art Textile Artist".   Bates, who interviewed Linda in 2007 said that Linda is "set to take the art world by storm with her virtual one-woman Arts and Crafts Movement".  She has exhibited locally and nationally to acclaim.

I used Linda's work in earlier in the course Elements: Art Through Textilesbecause I liked it so much.  With the knowledge I now have I feel I understand it much more.

Linda lives and works among the beautiful landscape of Derbyshire and takes the inspiration for her works from it.  She is excited about the visual impact of the changing seasons "and the power of colour, texture and form evolving from man's interaction with and imposition on the land".

Linda begins her work with a sketchbook and camera recording details of colour, shape and form and she goes through exactly the same processes as I do.  She looks at texture in her mix of fabric and threads so that she can express the ideas evoked by her preparation work.   Linda prefers to use upholstery calico as her stitch surface because it handles well.  This is important because she doesn't use an embroidery frame.  Linda never draws straight onto fabric but prefers to use "loose abstract colour first and draw onto the colour using felt pens, colour sticks, brushes and paint".  The shapes evolve as she stitches focal points.  Linda uses either silk or cotton thread depending on the effect she is wanting to create.

The result is an impressionistic image that is colourful and evocative of the Derbyshire countryside.
The essence of the work I so much admire is that Linda uses "fine art techniques which travel into textiles... lifting them out of the domestic female domain...to create elements of landscape".

I know the Derbyshire countryside well and Linda's work captures everything elemental I would want to capture if I had the skill.  I love it.

Because I found it so hard to get images from the web Linda has kindly offered to send me some on a CD.  I'm very grateful for this help and will post some as soon as I can - they are impressive.

Here's a taster I managed to find
Hollow rocks detail

Hollow rocks detail



Can't find a name, sorry


23rd May 2013

True to her word Linda sent me a selection of her images and has given me the OK to use them.  There's a selection below.  I'll title them tomorrow.


















www.aboutderbyshire.co.uk 




No comments:

Post a Comment