Thursday 20 September 2012

Doodling



Last night I was looking through my sketchpad and came across a mark making exercise I did by removing pencil with an eraser.  













I had enjoyed doing the piece of work and I began to doodle in the space left by the eraser.














I had been reading Gwen Hedley's Drawn to Stitch and was inspired to try weaving as shown on P 41. I photocopied a section twice then fastened them together to make something like an A4 sheet.  I made 2 copies.  I cut one sheet into wavy line strips and the other (also wavy) almost to the top then wove them together. This is what I got.  It looked jumbled and the weaving got lost.

Hedley, G, 2010, Drawn to Stitch, Batsford, London




 This morning I decided to try something else.  I arranged the section of the pattern differently, more consciously try to align things

 I repeated the copying process but used two colours of paper so the weaving would show.












This time the paper was cut into straight strips.  The colour contrast made such a difference (although the photo doesn't really show it) to the final piece.  I'm not sure the more careful placement of the pattern was that effective because everything becomes very random.











I had to think hard about this as I was doing it and try to anticipate the outcome with the placement of the pattern.  I was interested in the differences between the wavy weaving and the straight.  I had thought the wavy would be the most interesting but it wasn't because of the lack of contrast.

This was really enjoyable even if it did wander a bit away from what I should be doing.  I'm hoping that I can use what I made in some future project.

No comments:

Post a Comment