Saturday 22 September 2012

Felting

My husband has made a musical box for each of our granddaughters and now it's Esme's turn.  He asked me to line the bottom so I decided to make some felt.  The music mechanism he chose was La Mer so I looked at my blue shades.

I made two pieces of felt, got them to the pre felt stage and planned to weave them together to make a single piece of fabric with no gaps for tiny precious things to get lost in.

I was unsure how to weave them so I practiced a bit using contrasting wallpaper.


Straightforward even strips

Uneven strips



Wavy strips








I was amazed at how different each of the samples looked.  I chose to do wavy strips because I liked it best and it has sea connotations.

This is how the felt developed.


Weaving wavy strips
Weaving complete (I put some angel fibres in as well)


Fully felted





I'd never done any weaving before and I tried to leave no gaps but it was so difficult especially as I neared the end..  However, any small gaps that I couldn't quite close up disappeared when I fully felted the piece.




No comments:

Post a Comment