Tuesday 28 May 2013

Open Studios Notts

Open Studios Notts


Each year at this time Nottinghamshire artists open their studios for visitors.  We earmarked last Saturday to visit Southwell as there was lots on including a craft fair in the Minster.  We had a lovely, and expensive, day.


Open Studios are county wide; this is just the Southwell flyer


We visited the studio of Tim Sprignall who is a photographer although we didn't see any of his work various other artists had work displayed.


My favourite was Stuart Ackroyd glass his colours are wonderful and very exciting.

One of many beautiful pieces of glass


Sharon Dickinson showed an eclectic selection of novel items one of which became my husband's birthday present.  She was such a trusting soul.  Her card machine wouldn't work so we gave her the cash we had and walked away with the goods on the promise I'd send a cheque.  Lovely.

We visited the Bull Yard Gallery where Jayne Hale was exhibiting.  Although we didn't meet her we were told that Jayne has only recently felt confident in her ability to paint.  Sounds familiar.  Her paintings are vibrant and fun.


Jayne Hale

At The Barn Gallery I saw the work of Peter Dworok.

Loch Eynort, Isle of Skye, Peter Dworok


His elemental work has given me an idea that I can't shake off.  I'm going to try an experiment in my next sample.

Susan Isaacs opened her studio along with Carl Gray (ceramics) and Mark Green ( woodcraft).
Susan paints in oil in a loose figurative style.  Her prints showed me that she uses local towns as her inspiration.  I particularly liked her colours.

Southwell Minster.  Susan Isaacs


That takes me nicely to the work we saw in the Minster.  There were loads of stalls but I've become very selective.


I love metal as art

Irene is completely self taught

Intriguing boxes

I loved these seascapes - they're really inventive

Our last port of call was very local to us and involved people we have known for ever.

Lee Sinclair makes the most wonderful furniture.

Lee's lovely furniture
And his daughter makes a good cup of tea.


It is very exciting to see so much quality work going on in the area I live.  I had a great day and got lots of ideas along the way.  Thanks to the artists who are all so friendly and generous with their experiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment