Tuesday 21 May 2013

Project 9 Stage 3

Experimenting with different materials (25cm x 28cm max)






The remit this time was to experiment and create interesting surface textures.   I have done a little of this in previous work so I knew I wanted to use plastic and that was my starting point.  I used pink and blue bags and because the colours were strong I selected other strong coloured materials that gave a lot of contrasting texture.  Some of the materials I used are:

wool
sari silk
plastic bags
cling film with wool wrapped around it
ribbon
lace
torn strips of striped silk
net
tubular ribbon.

I used Soumak and Ghiordes Knots to get a variety of textures.

I used some of the skills I learned in my first experiments but this time I combined wool and plastic bags.  The effect was crisp.  I decided to soften it with sari silk that I then fluffed up.


Showing sari silk/wool/plastic




I have some quite garish silk fabric that I tore strips from and it transformed itself into something quite lovely.  I used it in Ghiordes Knots and plain weaving as well.  I then used it in a distorted pattern as well.

Soumak in my garish fabric


I know the warp is meant to be hidden but I rather like the effect of seeing it sometimes.  This is particularly true of the net which is very transparent.  I chose not to push it down and the effect is ethereal.  I topped it with Soumak made from net hoping to regain some stability.  I think it worked quite well.


Showing the see through net with  Soumak at the top and the distorted weave section

I'm not sure the Ghiordes Knots add anything much but trying them with a variety of yarns was interesting.
Ghiordes Knots


Threaded lace and ribbon hiding under the Knots


I particularly like the contrast of plastic and fabric so I used this in the last stage of my work, the distorted weave.  The way the materials can be manipulated to provide quite different textures gives a dimension that working with wool alone can never give.

My tension started off OK but tightened as I became more involved in the work.

I'm pleased with this piece of work.  The colours work really well together and it feels strong and purposeful.  I'm reminded of jewels or a shiny, iridescent beetle.  


No comments:

Post a Comment