Wednesday 8 May 2013

Project 9 Stage 2b


More practice (21cm x 18cm max)

This time I'm going to use some alternative yarns to see how different to wool it looks.  I also want to try some Ghiordes Knots.

I warped up and took good care to begin weaving on just the top warps.  I was surprised that the whole thing felt much less substantial than on my previous piece.

I began by putting in a base of wool.  I followed this with a drinking straw.  Next came some shiny synthetic tubular yarn then four strands of some fine fuzzy wool.  Next came another straw and a layer of twisted clingfilm.  I then used a green onion bag and then I put a row of Soumak in with braid.

Next there's an orange bag and more Soumak braid and a straw.  I put Soumak in again but this time in chiffon ribbon and followed this up with various creams and white in hessian, muslin and paper.  Last of all were my Ghiordes knots, both standard and continuously looped.  


Showing the yarns in the order indicated above




Wool, drinking straw, synthetic tubing, straw, cling film,
 onion bag, braid, orange bag

Chiffon ribbon, various pale yarns hiding and my Ghiordes Knots


My shy pale yarns
The reverse





















The only thing I tried that wasn't successful was trying to knot with plastic bags.  They wouldn't stay put and my fingers became all thumbs so I abandoned it. 

Some of the yarns I used surprised me.  The cling film gave a pretty "filament" sort of effect and the Soumak in chiffon worked very well.  I have learned how much I like shades of white and cream and this was no exception; there's a rustic feel to this part of the sample.  The knots are fun and to an extent overshadow the rest of my work.

I found that because some of the yarns were chunkier than I have used before and less flexible the warp sometimes shows through.  I also found that it was harder to join and secure these yarns.  

My tension was adrift again; more so than last time.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Irene

    Just one opinion - but I think you were correct in your original piece of weaving by including all the warp. It's normal to have to cut the weaving off the loom. On my course notes the final paragraph on page 121 describes it (end of project 9 stage 2). Knotting each pair of warp ends stops the weaving sliding off the end. By only using the top layer of warps you halve the number of warp ends, causing a much looser structure (plus a lot of waste yarn).

    You've got a lovely range of textures in your sample - especially the pale yarns and the chiffon ribbon.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. My first piece was like armour plating and you are very right about the looser structure of the second one.
    I must say the wasted warp yarn was nothing short of offensive – a word with my tutor I think.
    Off to the William Morris Gallery tomorrow so I’ll post about it – hope you’ll look.

    Irene

    ReplyDelete