Sunday 23 June 2013

Momigami paper



Momigami paper originates in Japan and was traditonally made using hand made paper which has long fibres.  It is coated back and front with a paste made of the starch of Devil’s tongue root – konnyaku.

I'm always on the lookout for new things to try and I found this information on the web.

http://midlifecraftis.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/momigami.html

I had just opened a new pack of photocopy paper so I decided to have a try.  To begin with the paper was very shiny and I thought it would be sure to tear.  

However, I followed the instructions above.

a) I put oil on my hands and rubbed it all over the paper
b) I gently pulled in the corners and slowly crumpled the paper.
c) I opened it up and repeated the process several times

I wasn't quite sure what I was aiming for but this is what I got:

The reverse side


The reverse

The front (still high gloss)

The oil has penetrated the multitude of creases I made by scrunching and kneading and the paper has become soft and pliable.


I need to press this flat but it's really quite beautiful.

There are some more lovely examples of momigami paper on this site


No comments:

Post a Comment