Thursday 27 June 2013

Project 10 Stage 1b

I've been thinking about the work I've done so far and revisiting some that I particularly enjoyed.  Fabric manipulation is high up on my list but there's lots I haven't yet tried.

So I've tried make new material from fabric scraps.  My first sample is completely random and very bright.  I started with a small piece of old sheet.  I used no bondaweb.


The fabric was mainly cotton but I introduced some red organza ribbon and some shiny red polyester.  I covered it all with 1 layer of organza.

I stitched from side to side with a Madeira thread in red and blue using a leafy stitch.



When I was happy that things were secure I used the heat gun to melt the organza in lots of places.  The above photo shows how the red polyester responded to the heat gun.



For me this is very bold but it is lovely and has lots of possible applications.

My second attempt was to do something more ordered and considered (using the same method).


Laying on the fabric in an ordered way

Covered with 2 layers of organza


And stitched.  I removed some of the organza layer


I like this one as well but I don't think the stitching works as well as the first one.  This is "nice" but I prefer the exuberance of the bright one.

I've combined applique, machine embroidery and melting in this work.





No comments:

Post a Comment