Saturday 13 October 2012

Mosque and exhibition


Contrary to what might be expected I didn’t spend all my time on the beach! There are lots of things I did on my holiday that I could include in my learning log so I’m going to have to be be a bit selective. 


The Grand Mosque, Muscat

I love the apparent simplicity of Islamic art and have seen it in many parts of the world.  The Grand Mosque is a new building funded by the Sultan of Oman. The traditional skills and designs are all there but with a modern twist; sometimes in the interpretation of pattern and sometimes in the materials used.  The huge chandelier for instance is made of Swarovski crystals.




Carpet detail



Mosaic wall panel detail




Carved pillar detail.  It reminds me a bit of the Celtic Knot design
Mosaic detail



Mosaic detail

Inlaid wall panel 

Carved and painted detail


To make the Mosque and inclusive place the Sultan drew on ideas from every period and region of Islam.  Because of this there was a great variation in style and techniques.



80 Brides of Photography

This exhibition was in the hotel where we stayed and highlighted the work of 80 top Omani women photographers.  The pictures were an eclectic mix of landscapes, portraits, still life, emotions and narrative.  All the work was printed onto canvas and so had texture over and above any captured by the photographer.  For me the most moving were the portraits.



One Pulse by Zainab Nasser Al Rashdi
Digital artwork





I loved the face in this photo.  I think this woman has had a hard life but the photographer captures her humanity and grace and lets us see the pride the woman has in her appearance.





One Pulse by Zainab Nasser Al Rashdi
(detail showing texture of the fabric)
Digital artwork

Reflection by Safia Mohammed Al Harthi
Digital artwork









This young girl has the most haunting expression and I couldn't take my eyes off her.  I found myself fabricating all sorts of stories about her and her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment