Wednesday 24 October 2012

Project 2 Stage 6 Using yarns to create textures

My next stitching work requires me to look at all my materials and select colours that best match my drawing.  The work I have chosen to interpret is taken from a collage that I haven't used in any other piece.    It was done when I was experimenting with combinations of papers, paints and bleach and I got some surprising and very textural results.  I have narrowed my choice down to two possible areas.  



This is mulberry paper with a great swathe of bleach through the centre.  The tissue at the bottom has yellow water colour on it.  This reminds me of sunny skies and mountains and the colour changes are subtle and lovely.  I like the sharp contrast of the yellow in the corner.










This part is tissue paper with felt tip pen, mulberry paper with bleach and a fine tissue with bits of fibre trapped between the layers.  I like the fragile feel about this area and it offers lots of texture to work in another medium.  Although the colours are not autumnal it evokes a fallen leaves idea that I think would work in stitch.

This is the area I have chosen but I am a bit concerned about the lack of contrast - or is this what makes it appear fragile?  Who knows?  One thing I do know is that I won't make any significant changes to this after what happened to my Sample earlier.




I planned this work much more carefully than for the Sample.  I selected, tested then deselected materials because they didn't do what I wanted them to do.  I used linen scrim for the background because it reminded me of the texture of the paper and I coloured it with Markal Stik.  In most areas this is now covered but you can still see the blue and I like the effect with self coloured stitching. 
I had some mauve material just the right colour (a bit like J-cloth) but I chose thick wool instead because it gave more texture. I did running stitch but didn't pull the thread right through and allowed it to twist.  It gave a lovely bobbly texture that represented the blobs on the paper.  




I used Markal Stiks as a background as much
to remind me where I was going as anything else.



I introduced some contrast in the form of bits of bright colour and tried to make wispy threads with some jute.








The trapped bits of fibre are of various shapes, colours and textures so I used stitches of various shapes, colours and textures as well.












I feel happier with this than the Sample.  When I was working it I felt less restricted somehow and allowed myself flights of fancy like the sari silk.  It is recognisably something to do with the collage but also quite different.  It feels much busierthan the original.  The piece loses its circular feel in the top right and I hadn't realised this until it was mounted.  I have been encourage to use material other than the obvious and am keen to try things out.












No comments:

Post a Comment