Friday 19 October 2012

Project 2 Stage 5

Stitches which create texture







On these samples of stitches for texture I've used satin stitch, blanket stitch, Cretan stitch, couching and a trellis to display seeding, and French knots.  Within each stitch I've varied size, thread and general shape of the stitch.  The remit suggested that I should gradually introduce various colours but I have some themed, hand dyed silk that once I'd started with I just couldn't stop.

Satin stitch.


I used an unstranded variegated silk thread with a very high lustre.  I stitched in blocks.
The way the thread catches the light is remarkable.  A slight tilt one way or the other and the whole thing changes character.  I think I've seen it all and then I find see something new.







Long and short running stitches


This is a sort of big seeding and it gave a very jerky,  abstract effect.  I used stranded silk;  everything from six down to one strand. and it became more interesting to further I went.  Although the effect of the light is very evident it is not as pronounced as in the satin stitch.  Maybe this is because the stitches are further apart and  angle is so varied.









Blanket stitch



I used the same thread that I used for the satin stitch but doubled it.  This made it quite difficult to work with because it twisted. The overall effect was similar to the satin stitch from the point of view of the way the light altered  the way it looked.  The circular way I arranged the stitches made me see that blanket stitch can be used to frame shapes and needn't just be boring and linear.  I felt the centre needed filling so I put some seeding and some French knots in.





Cretan stitch



I'd never tried this before so my first stitches were done in thick silk which started to look a bit ragged as I neared the end of the thread.  As I went on I reduced the size of the stitch and the thickness of the thread. Towards the end I closed the stitches up really tightly and I saw how the stitch had a central rib that hadn't showed up before.  I hadn't realised how much the texture could be manipulated simply by changing size.



Herringbone stitch






Once again I began with stranded silk that I reduced in thickness as I progressed.  I decided to taper the stitch to see what happened and found it hard to keep the stitches regular.  That said I was quite pleased with what happened  so reversed it on the next row and I feel the combination works well.  The next row returned to large stitches but with a single strand.  I then went back and filled in the spaces and this once again changed the character of the stitch.
Herringbone can be presented in lots of different ways offers various textures depending on how it's used.



Couching




I loved this yarn but it was too bobbly to go through the fabric so I couched it on.  I spread it out at the end so the single texture can be seen easily.










Romanian trellis with seeding and French knots

This was just a bit of fun but I was pleased with the result.  I'm sure it will crop up again somewhere in my work.

The ribbon I added because I'm trying to get over my aversion to yellow.  I think it works well here and I'm relieved.














No comments:

Post a Comment