Tuesday 30 July 2013

Assignment 5

Reflective commentary

My reflection has been done at regular times throughout the course so it will be no surprise that Im overjoyed at what has happened for me over the last months.  I'm excited by everything I've tried.  I have developed a short memory I always like the thing Ive just done the best!

Im happy with the way the course has taught me new skills and gently guided me into being able to create from scratch.  What Ive been able to achieve in such a short time has amazed me.  Only the best courses can do that.

As I've said in previous reflections Ive learned lots about myself.  Im a pretty contained sort of person but I have been learning to let go through this process of creativity.  Ive referred before to my unwillingness to be “lost” but Im finding if I lose my way creatively good things can fall out it.

I have appreciated the way the course is itself open to interpretation.  I have found that if I make a good enough case most interests can be accommodated.  This is very liberating.

Ive even upped my game with IT but theres still a way to go there Im afraid.

With specific reference to the course material I still think Part 2 should be split into 2 parts.  As a complete beginner this was such a lengthy stretch without tutor input. If I was going to drop out this would have been the point where it would have happened..  I hope this doesnt sound too negative; its meant to be constructive.

My Theme Book
My Theme book hasnt changed at all since the end of Part 4.  Instead all my Part 5 work has been done in my big sketch book even though it has developed from my Theme book.  It didnt really occur to me that Part 5 should continue in my Theme Book.


Assessment criteria points

Demonstration of Technical and Visual Skills
Part 5 has given me the opportunity to bring together both the practical and theoretical elements of the course in a creative way. I am now on the way to knowing with some certainty what will look good visually even if Im not always quite sure why.  The technical skills I have learned have opened my eyes to the wealth of skill both past and present.  Whilst Ive always admired art/craft Im now much better informed to make my own judgements.


Quality of Outcome
My new skills base gives me a far greater repertoire from which to select and I think Im starting to apply them in context.
I like to be organised and this sometimes conflicts with the apparent chaos of not being sure where Im going.  Im learning to cope with it..

I think my work shows quality.

Demonstration of Creativity
I'm much more comfortable taking creative risks than I expected and Im feeling more confident that I can do.  Im starting to think of alternatives if the first idea doesnt work.  It helps having a bigger repertoire.

Im learning to let things unravel a bit.  Ive found that in the tangle little gems can lurk.

I'm constantly surprised at what I can do.

Context
I have been extending my knowledge base by visiting several fairs, exhibitions and courses.  I am becoming more discriminating.

I need to go to some more exhibitions.

I am placing value on my work.

I still find it hard to identify my strength and weaknesses.      




No comments:

Post a Comment