Tuesday 30 July 2013

Project 10 Stage 4 reflections

For me this project has been about the process and I've learned so much.  My tutor sent me a most useful article about the creative process and it helped enormously as I struggled towards an idea.  It's by Gilkey (2008) and this is how it starts;


We’ve known for a long time that the creative process can be broken down into four distinct processes, most of which can be fostered and augmented. The processes are:


Preparation

Incubation

Illumination

Implementation


Importantly for me it says that the "preparation" stage may not be enjoyable.  I really found starting my project hard especially with life events at the time.  It was very marked, and can be seen clearly in my work, that as I felt better so my work started to develop again.

My topic of "water melon" took me to many places and I can see the way the design was born very clearly.  Even the tricky bits played their part. This must be the "incubation" period I think.  

Once I had the basis of my design my major initial decisions were sound.  For instance felt was a good choice because  it's waterproof qualities were useful, it is strong and can be made to look very attractive.  My decision to use confetti applique worked well as just  a little bit of glitz on a utility item.

Less successful were initial thoughts about decoration.  I was intending to decorate everything but it pretty soon became apparent that not only would I be wasting my time (it would be over fussy) it would look awful as well.  

I ended up by scrapping lots of work because I wasn't happy. It's not that it was bad, just not good enough.  Currently this seems to be part of my process. Fortunately my course manual indicates that as work progresses there is often the need to change so I'll take comfort in that.

I feel my interpretation worked well.  I wanted to stick loosely with the watermelon colours because they are so beautiful but the rest is only recognisable if you follow my process through.  But that's not a problem.  I was surprised that my rope handle didn't work, the yarn looked so good initially.  

I like the mix of techniques and the way there are few rights and wrongs if ideas can be justified.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things this work isn't inventive, it's just a bag.  However, the process I have been through has made me think about the practical application of some of the things I have been learning; it has made me "invent".  How to attach the pieces together or how to fasten the bag for instance.

I said earlier that I saw this work as the equivalent of a prototype. If I was wanting to produce this bag as something marketable I would now be in quite an informed position regarding what is feasible if a profit was needed.





No comments:

Post a Comment