Sunday 30 December 2012

Project 4 Dyeing


Dyeing

This is yet another first.  I was encouraged to try dyeing in Part One but put it off because it was just another new thing to try.  Consequently I've had a Dylon cold water dye in Burlesque red kicking around so I thought I'd experiment a bit. 
 
I selected a whole array of fabrics:

cotton tape
acetate lining
fur fabric
muslin
curtain lining with plastic backing
scrim
curtain lining
felt
cotton tea towel
tee shirt cotton
sweatshirt material
calico
heavy wool thread
wool boucle
medium cotton thread

and they totalled 210 gms.

I ignored what the packet said about what would work and what wouldn't.  I tied a couple of pieces of muslin to get a tie dye fabric.  This was done in a very naive, novice way just to see what happened.

Most of the fabrics I worked with were beige but there was a big variation in the composition of it.

The effects were many and varied.  The tie dye was really lovely but the best was the curtain lining with the plastic backing - real texture.  What I thought was cotton thread seems not to be and the heavy wool thread felted beautifully.  The fur fabric remained largely unaffected by the dye as did the acetate lining.  The tape seems to have a synthetic edge that has resisted the dye.



The whole batch except for that which resisted the dye








My first tie dye efforts.










Scrim and muslin reacted in a similar way







The plastic backing on this fabric shows through and gives a very strange but attractive effect.













The threads took up the colour in different ways.  The striped thread and the tape is clearly not just one material.  The wool has dyed in a uniform way and the thicker one has felted.










I now have some experience with dying and a Burlesque red colour bag!







No comments:

Post a Comment