Friday 21 December 2012

Project 4 Review

Project 4 Review


I've had real fun with this section of the course.  The effect of the use of the space and the concept of negative space seemed very obvious once it was pointed out but I became a bit tangled in the positive/negative idea once or twice.

In Stage 3 I had to select from drawings I'd already done and although I don't find it difficult to make selections I'm not sure how well I do it.  I was pleased with the drawing I did at the end of the exercise in which I took elements of two snips and made a completely new picture.  I left in a major mistake as a reminder to myself not to get carried away with marks that can't be erased!

I was happy to play about using my drawings as the basis for new work.  There's always more things I want to try and I'm finding that one thing really does lead to another. I never have enough time to follow all my ideas.  I learnt a lot about what works and what doesn't (particularly with pastels) and much about myself and the boldness with which I can work with unexpected comfort.

I still find it hard to be a fair critic of my own work.  I'm able to say if I like a piece I've worked on but not really know whether it has any merit.  Maybe that comes with confidence and experience both of which take time.

I feel that the working method I've been using will be the basis for lots of other work; it makes a lot of sense and leaves room for almost infinite interpretation and exploration. The need to pluck inspiration out of thin air is obviously not a course requirement!  Sweet relief.

I've been totally absorbed in this work and done very little research or reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment