Monday 4 February 2013

Assignment 2



Assignment two


Reflective commentary

Part two of the course has been very varied and has taken me on a whistle stop tour of colour and design and then straight into the application of the theory.

In Project 3 it was hard to see what I was supposed to but found it made more sense when I was involved in the practical elements.  I have learned more about the Impressionists and have a better acquaintance with some modern artists who are painting in a style I knew I liked but didn't know about the techniques they use.

The drawing I’ve done has benefited from learning to look properly; I’m more inquiring and less ready to accept things at face value. This was so particularly in Stage 6 when I drew a small jar I was familiar with but had never really seen.

I have begun to enjoy using the computer and whilst my skill is quite limited it has enabled me to look at things in new ways.  I have yet to find a way to represent texture – computer generation always looks pretty flat although I know Hockney can do it!

I have been surprised that my drawings can be used as the basis of so much new work.  I have sometimes found myself jumping the gun because I’ve followed a pathway that the course opens up to me later on.  Stencilling my Fijian print is a case in point.

I have tried many new things; dying, silk painting, printing and stencilling.  I have learned to appreciate the effect of negative space and tied myself in knots doing it.  I have been lucky enough to travel quite widely and always been interested in the local textiles.   Now have a completely different appreciation of the skill involved in making beautiful cloth with limited resources.

In Project 5 I had difficulties with creating an image to print with and got muddled with positive and negative shapes.  I found myself slowly grinding to a halt and I became dissatisfied with what I was doing; my hard won confidence plummeted.  I became worried that I would become demotivated so I stopped Stage three and four and looked at what I might do for my large sample.  I did some work on this and then felt able to return to what I had been struggling with. 

I am pleased with my large sample and enjoyed doing it.  I like the knowledge I have developed my work in several ways and that there’s only one like it in the world.

I have found Part two lengthy.  As a beginner it has seemed a long time since tutor feedback and I think my dip at the end is partly due to this.

In my list of hopes for the course I said I wanted to find the creative me.  I think she might be showing her face but not in any way I anticipated.  I thought my work would be pretty and pastel but somehow it manages to be bold and vigorous. This is totally unexpected. 









No comments:

Post a Comment