Saturday 9 February 2013

Part 3 Research point Furnishing fabric

Furnishing fabric


I took the advice of my course notes and visited a local lady who who makes soft furnishings.  I  asked if she had any remnants and she simply said "How big?"  I had the time of my life and the photos show what I managed to accumulate before my husband nearly died laughing.  Never mind I can soon go back alone.  This is certainly the best way I've found of gathering beautiful fabrics in small quantities at a very reasonable cost.

The fibre content isn't always stated because some of the pieces are offcuts. 



Most of what I bought is cotton and chosen simply because I liked it.  Many pieces come from pattern books and have the paper strip along the side.  How to get it off I wonder?

I don't actually like the dark red plush very much but it has the air of being something that might be useful.  It is a bonded fabric with a wavy pattern in the pile.

Most of my fabrics have some sort of pattern and lend themselves to being cut for a variety of effects.  For instance the embroidered spots on this peach fabric might be used in isolation.

These natural colours vary from a very light voile to curtain lining fabric  The pink on the voile is vibrant.

There's another voile here but in a green colour way.  The plain fabric is synthetic.












Judging by what was in the remnant boxes and talking to the shop owner floral fabrics are top of the soft furnishing list.  At the moment she is selling lots of fabric that could loosely be said to have a Japanese theme (see the red cherry blossom above) and styles are spare, often just plain Roman blinds.

I love stripes and it seems so do many others because they sell well too. Of all my new fabrics I think my favourites are the voiles.  The woven stripe has such a lovely texture.





My biggest difficulty is having the courage to use them; I don't want to waste them on something that doesn't work out.  Is it reasonable to get so excited about bits of material?




No comments:

Post a Comment