Saturday 2 February 2013

Geoffrey Grant



Geoffrey Grant


Whilst I was in Buxton I visited the Museum because there were some exhibitions.  The one that caught my eye was called Visions and Dreams by Geoffrey Grant.

My somewhat creased catalogue



The paintings are held in a rigid formal shape like a window frame and that shape provides what Grant calls the "atmospheric window".  All of the painting I saw were created using acrylics.

Grant recognises that "our feelings, reactions and moods can be intensely affected by colours and their interaction".  He likes to create a feeling of peace in his paintings and so usually chooses a restricted palette with blue, green and mauve as favourites.  A good example of this is "Blue Sands" which I particularly liked.

Grant's work is especially relevant because I could relate this exhibition to the  Pointillist technique I looked at earlier in Part 2.

I was unable to take photographs and I can't find one online so I've tried to re-create a bit of what I saw.




My Grant interpretation



...and in close up




Although I tried hard this looks nowhere near the predominantly blue picture I saw - far too much pink.  Still, it's a good reminder of a super exhibition.

I think it might be the tall, thin shape but I'm wondering what the more muted colours would look like if applied to the designs I like by Chant Avedissian.  I've chosen the central image below to try.

Chant Avedissian
Hand dyed cotton



My version of the central image
(somewhat shortened)

I enjoyed doing this but I had imagined the colours softer than this.  I needed more colours than in the piece above in order to keep some connection with the original work.  I'm not sure I got it spot on particularly the blue and purple at the lower end but the soft greens  are good with the orange.



Avedissian C, 2009, Patterns, Costumes and Stencils, SAQI London

Geoffrey Grant, Visions and Dreams Exhibition Catalogue

www.geoffgrant.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment