Monday 4 February 2013

Project 5 Review

Project 5 Review


Project 5 has given me some challenges.  I've found myself getting tired and worried about integrating my learning into my work.

My review of my fabrics was surprising because I hadn't realised how many I had.  I rarely see them all together because they are in colour boxes.  I am concerned that I generally go for the bland, safe background.  On the occasions I haven't I've been disappointed with the result.

Creating stencils was something I found tricky.  One difficulty was with the differentiation of positive and negative space but I learned a lot from this and was able to use my learning in my large sample.

In my interpretation of my blurred image I know now that I was trying to copy and when I repeated the exercise and just let it happen it worked much better.  That's a big lesson.

Whilst I think my starting choices were OK sometimes the methods and materials left something to be desired.  The acrylic felt and Markal sticks is a case in point.  I still like the idea but the colours were all wrong for the feel I wanted.

The final purple piece was disappointing.  At least I'm learning the limits both of myself and my materials. 

The final large sample in Stage 4 did something to make me feel a little better.  I managed to create both a repeated and stand alone design from the one image.  I was able to think simple after my difficulties with stencils and masking and this gave a much better result.  I enjoyed the evolutionary way the Stage developed.  The simplicity of the finished piece belies the amount of work involved in the learning process.



No comments:

Post a Comment