Saturday 23 February 2013

Mantua gown, The Collection, Lincoln

Mantua gown, The Collection, Lincoln





I visited an exhibition that displayed this lovely gown(really a coat).  I could spend time I don't have writing about it but it seems a much better idea to put in a link and let you see for yourself.

http://www.lincstothepast.com/exhibitions/treasures/18th-century-mantua/

The dress was beautiful but I found the exhibition unsatisfying from the point of view of information.  I wanted to know about the conservation process and the fabrics but instead it focused on how lucky we are to have the dress (which indeed we are).

There was a talk a week or two ago by Sheila Landi,the conservator, but the tickets were sold out when I tried to buy one.  This might have given me what I felt was missing in the exhibition.



1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you were disappointed by the lack of information in the mantua exhibition. There was a text panel on the fabric, one on the conservation work, a copy of the full conservation report (with details of how to access the report online) on the 'Further Information' table and a filmed interview with the conservator!

    ReplyDelete