Sunday 25 November 2012

Project 3 Research point


Batik skirt    

I’ve had this skirt since 1997 when I bought it from a batik workshop in Yogyakarta, Java.  This town is a centre for artwork in Java.   In terms of British health and safety the workshop was a nightmare with vats of wax and dyes in all manner of tin cans all over the place.  The process was divided between the sexes with the men doing the dying and the women the wax painting.





My skirt is cotton and not of remarkable quality.  It is starting to show little pinpricks of wear.  The fabric is cream with bottle green, mid brown, dusky blue and a claret red.






The printing is many layered  and from the mark making point of view very busy.  The only bit of hemming is along the bottom edge the sides are selvedges with distinctive printing.





The visit to the workshop was a treat during our holiday and I got the opportunity to see the batik process in detail and was able to have a try at wax painting.  It was very much a cottage industry with no mechanisation at all.

I have worn this skirt every summer since it was bought.  If I put a bit of weight on it really doesn’t matter at it is a wrap round and infinitely expandable.  Last summer I bought some batik material to make a new skirt knowing this one is not going to last much longer.  I used the original as a pattern and to all intents and purposes they are the same; except they are most definitely not.

The skirt is special because of its memories and because there was such a lot of care taken over its production – the women were justifiably very proud of their skill.  As well as that it always feels lovely to wear and as I’ve indicated it just cannot be replaced – ever!




No comments:

Post a Comment