Monday 5 November 2012

Project 3 Stage 2 Ex 2

Colour perception


I simply couldn't see the complementary after image here.  My husband tried as well and neither could he.  I wonder why not?




Thanks to Jackie who gave me some links I finally managed to see the light so to speak.


I spent the afternoon reading Colour by David Hornung.  Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed my task it made me realise just what a huge subject colour is.  In fact the book is a course all on it's own.  I found lots of information that I'm sure is best absorbed slowly and in a taught class where questions and uncertainties can be addressed.

However there were parts that were really helpful.

Hornung demonstrates everything he writes about with really good illustrations.  If I was confused by the text the pictures helped me out.  I found Chapter 4 about Colour interaction particularly useful.  This chapter looks at after images and optical mixing which is what my course is dealing with at the moment. Although I understand the concept of after images I have had some difficulty seeing them.  This time I met with some success and was amazed at the illusions created.

Page 70 sets students the task of doing square studies just like I have completed. I will go back to my squares and see how they look with my new learning in place.  Whilst my grasp of hue and value feels a bit shaky figures 4.31 and 4.32 make a lot of sense.

I have spent some considerable time looking at the way colours appear to change and tried to replicate figure 4.31 but to no avail.  I tried to find colors similar to those in the picture in my origami squares but maybe it is entirely shade dependent.














David Hornung, 2005, Colour - a workshop for artists and designers, Laurence King, London


1 comment:

  1. There are a couple of computerised exercises that show this exercise - and they are a little easier 'to get' than doing it on your own - this is one that I found today, but there are lots of other optical illusions http://www.realcolorwheel.com/afterimage.htm and this one is amazing: click on the 'after image' exercise: http://www.echalk.co.uk/amusements/opticalillusions/illusions.aspx
    if you have a look at these and then go back to the exercise it might help....
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete