Monday 26 November 2012

Project 3 Stage 6 Ex 2b

Combining texture and colour effects



I started by making a drawing of a pastel collage I had done earlier in my course.  It started life as a light catcher hanging from a tree in my garden so this is the second time it has been re-interpreted.  



I thought of words to describe my drawing.
For the outer lead frame:

  • heavy
  • grey
  • solid


and the inner:

  • transparent
  • ethereal
  • sparkly
  • translucent in places


I selected my materials in the way I'm becoming accustomed to; by making a bag.  In it I put clear plastic for the background, blue mulberry paper, a grey, bonded fabric, some blue silk and white organza.  My threads were grey double knitting wool, some sparkly ribbon, heavy white sparkly cotton and sea blue Perle thread.

I had no idea whether working on plastic was viable.  I used the mulberry paper and the grey, bonded fabric as a base and then placed the silk and the organza (doubled) on the top. I stitched the dark outer with knitting wool in chain stitch.  How the embellishments were worked is evident in the photos.














I'm pleased with this piece.  It has developed somewhat from the original but is still recognisable.  The plastic background worked well and wasn't difficult to work with.  I like the muted, toning colours and I had to experiment to get them.  I changed the colour of the "explosive" bit in order to add some sparkle but re-introduced the darker blue colour in the French knots.  I think I could have made more of the plastic by taking the stitching through the "lead" outer but by the time I recognised the possibility it was too late to incorporate it into the design.

2 days later......

........  I decided that I really did need to try sewing into the plastic.  I got some shiny, silky thread and did a threaded running stitch and it changed the piece incredibly.

Taking the leap!


It has become more dynamic and interesting.  I can't imagine why I thought it was too late to try.  It might have been better (but not necessarily) to do machine stitching so that it was finer but my machine is in for repair and I wanted to do it now.

I'm starting to feel an impulse to "just do it" but I'm not a natural risk taker.  If it isn't perfect it doesn't matter I keep telling myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment