Tuesday 20 November 2012

Project 3 Stage 5

Coloured stitches


Testing colours



I chose a running/satin stitch for this exercise. I used yellows and blues of various shades and I varied the thickness of my thread as well.  Some of the results surprised me.  These are the things I noticed most:




The dark blue disappeared on the black fabric;
when I placed it between paler colours it reappeared













Pale yellow sometimes looks green

The pale blue appeared to be white















Denser colours at the edge defined what was
in the middle it was insignificant until then
















The less dense the thread the harder it was to distinguish the colour

The pale yellow almost always looks dirty
















The orange/yellow held it's colour well amid everything






I wondered if the yellow would appear so changeable if I put it with red.  I chose a chain stitch and stitched a red spiral with the thread diminishing in thickness the nearer to the middle it got.  I then did the same with yellow.  I put some running stitches between the two chains again in red and yellow.  The yellow remained bright.

However when I was stitching I started to feel as if I had vertigo; I was dizzy and felt quite nauseous.  I'm not sure why but I think the spiral and the effect of the negative space that had something to do with it.

Regarding colour I found that at different angles I got shades of lilac and grey in electric light.









This is a sort of vortex effect that is very powerful

All of the things I spotted changed with the light.  Morning light gave different effects to dusk; electric light, and even the source, was different again.

No comments:

Post a Comment