Saturday 10 November 2012

Project 3 Stage 3 Ex 4

Recording colours accurately



I worked in gouache again because it gives me the depth of colour I'm finding it hard to achieve.

I took a photo for my blog ........

The details of this exercise told me I should just record the colours I could see and not copy the image.  I simply couldn't see how I could do that and make the colours means anything so I painted what I could see.  I was very aware that the background and the apple were virtually the same colour and I was bothered about how I was going to show them separately.  In the event it wasn't a problem because the grey tones beneath the apple did this for me.  I hadn't quite realised the impact of "looking with your eyes and not your brain" until this work.  






and by the time I had painted the items the shadows had changed




It felt uncomfortable putting the grey inside the jug but I can see that it gives the jug an "inside" that it didn't have before. The bit of jug that is above the green background looks very different to the blue on green; the green gives the jug definition.
I found it hard to get the blush on the apple.  There must be better ways of painting than  this where I put red on top of green.  Another course perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment