Monday 26 November 2012

Project 3 Stage 6 Ex 2a

Combining textures and colour effects


This time I had to work with pastels colours and create a gradual colour change across my sample.  I wanted to use Perle no 5 again because I love the way it catches the light and I like the feel of it to stitch with.  Unfortunately my range of pastel colours is a bit limited and my new ones haven't yet arrived so the colours I used were almost chosen for me.





I selected a piece of heavy woven silk with a slubby effect.  It was dusky pink and my first thread was almost the same colour. I then graduated into a paler tone in the same spectrum.  Next came a pale blue then a cream that faded into a mid grey and finally a paler grey.  As I worked I was concerned about the blue. I thought it was going to the only contrasting colour but when I had finished I found the greys balanced things out.  Whilst it is still the brightest colour on the piece it isn't glaringly so.

The circle I set myself to do was perhaps a bit ambitious.  It was hard to get the graduation smooth.  I think I managed it in parts but the blue looks as though I was in a hurry to finish it; perhaps an indication that I was worried about it.






I thought I might get a bit bored with just French knots but I didn't; in fact I really quite enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment